Judge Penny Harrington
Judge Harrington’s experience in life as well as law has been extensive and varied. She has been a journalist, a schoolteacher, and a senior staffer in the Tennessee legislature.
A Diverse Legal Background
A native of Jackson, Madison County in West Tennessee, Judge Harrington graduated from Middle Tennessee State University and got her Juris Doctor from Vanderbilt Law School. Judge Harrington has had a diverse career, serving as a law partner to former U.S. Senator Fred D. Thompson, as General Counsel in the Department of Conservation, and as Counsel to the Tennessee Oil and Gas Board and Tennessee Historical Commission. She was also elected a member of the Davidson County Election Commission and served on the Rules Committee of the 1988 Democratic National Convention.
With such a varied legal background, Judge Harrington truly knows how to see from her clients’ perspectives and serve their legal interests best.
Extensive Knowledge of Both Civil and Criminal Matters
In Nashville, General Sessions Judges have broad jurisdiction in both civil and criminal matters, including mental health committals, domestic violence criminal matters, DUI, and traffic jurisdiction.
At Judge Harrington’s request, the Tennessee General Assembly created the first countywide Environmental Court in the nation. She was the only judge of that court during her entire eight years on the bench and had jurisdiction over all Metropolitan Municipal Code cases and many Tennessee environmental laws.
- B.A. Middle Tennessee State University
- J.D. Vanderbilt Law School
- State of Tennessee
- District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals
- 6th Circuit
- 11th Circuit
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Former Speaker of House of Delegates
- Former Member of Board of Governors
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Women Judges
- Tennessee Lawyers Association for Women
- Lawyers Association for Women (Marion Griffin Chapter)
- Council on Foreign Relations, Nashville Committee
- Alliance Française
- Founding member of CABLE
- Cumberland Compact
- Greenways for Nashville
- Nashville Catholic Business Women’s League